Sunday, October 17, 2010

andy manek's ceasar salad revisited


I made a lamb ragu for Wendell and his sister last weekend and though the sauce was pretty damn good it was really the ceasar salad that stuck out for me. It brought back great memories as my dad used to make a huge bowl of it for my sister and I as a late lunch on Sunday afternoons. He would serve it with a fresh loaf of Italian bread and butter. One of my most cherished meals with my Pops.

I'm not reinventing the wheel her with this recipe but what makes it unlike most ceasar is heavy handedness with the main ingredients.

for the dressing you need:
1/2 cup first press virgin olive oil
1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp dijion mustard
6 anchovie filets
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup grated romano cheese
-throw into food processor and away you go
-tear up one large head of romaine lettuce into a bowl
-fry 1/2 package of organic berkshire bacon (cut into 1 inch pieces ) let drain on paper towel
-cube 1/2 loaf of rosemary focaccia (into 2 inch cubes, tossed in olive oil) and bake till crispy
-Toss the salad with dressing, garnish with bacon and bread cubes and add another 1/4 cup romano cheese to the mix.
enjoy!
note - do not go out in public after consuming this salad or talk to anyone who hasn't consumed it as you will surely kill them with your baba garlic breath.
for the record my dad calls this his ukrainian ceasar.

No comments: